Is IPTV technology everything it’s supposed to be, or is it just another example of technological hype? Here are 10 all-important facts and advantages relating to IPTV. Maybe this information can assist your decision as to whether you are ready for the IPTV revolution.
1. Internet protocol television or IPTV, is a progressively popular technology for the transportation of data information and Audio and Video (AV), across an IP based digital network. This might include Ethernet, WAN, LAN or the internet. Add to the equation a set top box (STB) and AV information can be streamed over existing networks to PCs or televisions. It’s also possible for IPTV to be one to one (Unicast) or one to many (Multicast).
2. According to new research findings, currently 15.5 million people subscribe to IPTV services, 8.4 million of these subscribers are from Europe.
3. Because of the high bandwidth demands of digital video, IPTV requires broadband Internet connectivity. Theoretically, plugging in to this high speed internet would allow IPTV users additional control over their television programming and the ability to tailor-make it to their personal preferences.
4. Crucially IPTV systems avoid interruption of critical networks by employing a separate video LAN (local area network).
5. All free-view channels are delivered without SAT or Terrestrial receivers.
6. It has been predicted that compared to the current 3.3 million subscribers in the USA, there will be approximately 12.7 million IPTV users by 2012.
7. Local content, movies and sport may be added for supplementary income in hotels, or provided without charge to a student campus.
8. AV sources can be streamed over present networks to PCs or televisions with the addition of set top boxes (STB).
9. All TV programmes can later be retrieved from the IPTV network due to its storage facility.
10.iptv provider based networks are practically immune to interference, ghosting, harmonics, reflections, cross modulation and so forth – problems that are all frequent in analogue systems. Digital transmission over the coaxial networks signify that some of these issues have been resolved, nevertheless, these still suffer from some of the above.
An Interesting Use of IPTV Technology
A classic illustration of how IPTV technology is being employed in an increasingly inventive number of products, is with a luxurious, IP enabled bathroom television. These TVs are the ultimate in bathroom opulence, permitting the viewer safely to view television whilst soaking in a bathtub full of bubbles, or even taking a shower.